Yes, this post is about cooking rice. Simple as it seems, cooking rice can be a challenge if you do not know the right way to do it. Now that I have grasped the right way to cook rice where each grain is fluffy, soft and perfect, I think of the old helpless me and feel a tingle of sadness. I wish someone had told me then.
In the past every time I cooked rice it was a complete disaster. In many ways cooking rice is similar to boiling an egg. If you don’t clock it, you will invariably under-cook it or overcook it. To boil it just right is a simple matter of timing.
For those of you who struggle with cooking rice, it is really simple.
1 Cup white basmati rice (approx 185 grams)
2 Cups of Water
1. Wash the rice under running water. Then, soak it in cold water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain the rice and discard the water.
3. Put the rice in a pan. Add 2 cups of water, and heat over medium flame.
4. Bring the rice and water mixture to a rolling boil. Once it starts to boil cover the pan, and turn the heat down to very low.
5. Cook for 16 minutes then take the pan off the heat – don’t take the lid off! Leave the cooked rice for five minutes, then fork through it to fluff it up.
Here’s another recipe by Jamie Oliver. This, as per him, is a foolproof, hassle-free way to cook rice which guarantees light, fluffy textured rice. Personally, I found it to be a bit complicated. But hey, give it a shot if you please.
Once you have perfected making plain rice, you can try adding variations to the recipe. Add a pinch of salt along with the other ingredients in Step 3, to enhance the aroma of the rice. Or, add a pinch of salt and a few drops of oil/ butter to enhance flavor.
To make Rice with Caramelized Onions, first caramelize 1 finely sliced onion in a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Once the onion is brown, add the soaked and drained rice, and mix well. Then, add water and follow step 4 and 5.
The secret to cooking good rice is precision and timing. Water added to cook the rice should be double the rice quantity. And, when the rice and water mixture beings to boil reduce the flame to very low, cover and cook for precisely 16 minutes. This recipe has worked wonderfully for me so far. What is your secret recipe to cooking good rice?